The European Union, through the EC Regulation n. 1107/2006, has laid down in all Community airports standard rules that provide a dedicated and completely free of charge assistance, intending to ensure free movement without discrimination.
Depending on the different needs of a PRM passenger (Passengers with disabilities or reduced mobility), universal “codes” have been identified. That allows airport staff, travel agencies, tour operators, and airlines to correctly identify the necessary service and offer the passenger the best travel experience.
Let’s look at them together:
– BLND: visually impaired or blind passengers;
– DEAF: passengers with hearing disabilities;
– DPNA: passengers with cognitive or behavioral disabilities;
– WCHR: passengers who cannot travel long distances but can go up and downstairs and move independently;
– WCHS: passengers who cannot travel long distances and cannot go up and downstairs but are autonomous onboard the aircraft;
– WCHC: Fully stationary passengers who are not self-sufficient on board the aircraft and need full assistance.
It is crucial when booking to be as transparent as possible and not be afraid to ask for advice. The advantages of a well-planned assistance request are undoubtedly two-way, they will facilitate airport staff’s work, mitigate flight delays, and greatly simplify your journey.
Besides the six mentioned above, another “code” of great interest is the one defined as MEDA. Passengers
suffering from certain conditions, who have recently undergone surgery or suffered fractures, must fill in a MEDIF (Medical Information Form). The MEDIF will be carefully evaluated by the airline doctors who will give their approval, or not, depending on the severity of the situation and the airline rules, on flight suitability.
Let’s now look at some steps to keep in mind during the planning phase of a trip.
PRE-FLIGHT: BOOKING PHASE
AT THE AIRPORT: DEPARTURE
ONBOARD: IN FLIGHT PHASE
AT THE AIRPORT: ARRIVAL
Let us know if you have any questions about the assistance and services available at the airport, or if you want to share with us your experience. We will be happy to talk together.
We leave below the links to the websites of the leading companies, will take you directly to the section dedicated to assistance: